REPORTING MIGRATION COMPETITION 2022
The EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration is organising a reporting migration competition in West and Central African countries to foster quality reporting on reintegration and protection of migrants. The competition celebrates journalists who bring attention to the many facets of migration in West and Central Africa in both French and English language.
The competition is open to newspaper, magazine, radio, television, video, and multimedia journalism from Chad, Ghana, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal and The Gambia. It builds on the 2021 regional experience and will be implemented from March till July 2022 at country level. It aims to highlight the unique role of journalists reporting on migration-related stories and aims to foster quality-reporting and journalism on migration and migrants in West and Central Africa
This competition is based on investigative and a “Solutions journalism” approach, recognizing stories that identify and respond to key social issues.
Journalists stand to win up to 8,000 in cash prizes.
The EU-IOM Joint Initiative for Migrant Protection and Reintegration through IOM Regional Office for West and Central Africa is organizing a reporting migration competition in West and Central African countries to foster quality reporting on reintegration and protection of migrants. Find more information on other projects and programmes run by country missions in Senegal, Mali, Mauritania, The Gambia, Niger, Chad, and Nigeria.
The competition builds on 2021’s Journalism competition conducted by the Regional Office based in Dakar, Senegal (Migrants as Messengers, EU-IOM Joint Initiative and MECC), to put under the spotlights Migration’s stories.
Migration is a complex topic and journalists play an important role in unpacking these complexities. It is their role to give the public a clear understanding of all sides of the migration paradigm. The goal of this journalistic approach is to:
- tell migration stories in a balanced and ethical way;
- share accurate information to help communities and families to support migrants in making knowledgeable decisions and;
- share balance stories that can contribute to upholding the dignity of migrants worldwide
The competition will take place at country-office level with the support and coordination of the regional media and communications unit.
- Applications are open to journalists from the 13 joint initiative countries in West and Central African region
- The competition will be launched in English and/or French
- Each country mission will organize a physical event by July 2022 to announce the winners of the competition.
IOM is working with a diverse ecosystem of partners within the countries and from across Africa to identify and mobilize innovative and mission-driven African journalists and support them throughout the application and selection process. A jury of experienced judges will review the submissions, evaluating the journalist’s storytelling; their ability to tell the migrant’s story and to create a positive impact on their communities.
- Academics: media/journalism faculty staff
- Secretary general of journalist trade unions/associations
- Veteran journalists with experience in the region and on migration topics; journalist networks and unions
Competition funded and/or implemented by: